The Lung Docs are here to help you breathe through this uncertain time in Chattanooga.
The CDC website on the coronavirus is the place to go for information on how to stay safe from being infected from the virus.
The CDC on how the coronavirus spreads
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person:
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
How easily the virus spreads
How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (spread easily), like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, spreading continually without stopping.
The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.
Below are links to resources that are helpful in understanding what’s going on and what you can do to keep yourself safe.
- How to Prevent Spread
- CDC Official Updates
- TN State Department Updates
- Hamilton County Updates
- World Health Organization Q&A
Hamilton County COVID-19 Resources
- COVID-19 Hotline: 423-209-8383
- Schedule a COVID-19 test at one of our drive-through testing sites: 423-209-8393
- Schedule a COVID-19 test at Clinica Medicos: 423-760-4000
- Stay up to date on the Hamilton County Health Department Facebook page
- Hamilton County COVID-19 Official FAQs